This guide is for Phase One—the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy-to-explain version which will help you no end.
- Eat under 20g of carbs a day (usually 20g net when starting, but for some people 20g total carbs works better).
- Eat plenty of good food — fat and protein — while adhering to 20g of carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritise the animal protein [i.e., not protein powder]—always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary—it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.
- Keto works because you aren’t hungry. Eat enough good food — fat and protein — at each meal to get full, and you won’t need to snack between meals.
- ELECTROLYTES/SALT – KEEP THEM UP
- Keto is not a quick-fix fad diet, it is a long-term repair job on your body. This means that for many, it is not an immediate and sustained weight-loss diet. And those repairs can take months. This is because your body is healing, and it prioritises that requirement over your weigh-loss desires because it’s smart. GIVE IT TIME WHILE YOU RECOVER FROM DECADES OF CARB-CAUSED ABUSE.
- The worst meat is better than the best bread, so just buy the meat you can afford—don’t stress about grass-fed, organic, etc..
- Fasting is a tool; nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.
- Don’t worry about the scale. All it tells you is weight, it tells you nothing about body composition. Even the “smart” scales.
That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.
My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty—but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids!
Want it as a PDF? CLICK HERE
PDF includes the above simple guide, and a slightly expanded and more detailed version. Still pretty simple stuff, though!